Labor Day is a holiday spent celebrating the accomplishments of America’s workforce. Many Americans celebrate this day by having a cookout with their friends and family. We have picked a couple of recipes sure to impress your guests at your grill out or celebration!
1.) The Classic Pasta Salad
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total: 20 mins
Makes 10 servings
- 1 pound dried pasta like fusilli, penne, rotini or farfalle (bow tie)
- 1 cup sliced bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini (1/2 medium)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions (5 to 6)
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini or banana peppers, optional
- 1 cup (4 ounces) halved mixed olives
- 1 cup (2 ounces) grated parmesan cheese or hard cheese
- 1 cup (6 ounces) fresh mozzarella balls, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley or basil, optional
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 to 3 tablespoons juice from pepperoncini jar, optional
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender, 6 to 10 minutes (check the package for recommended cook time). Drain and rinse well under cold water.
- While the pasta cooks, in the bottom of a large bowl, make the dressing. Whisk the red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, pepperoncini juice (if using), and the olive oil until blended. Add the drained and rinsed pasta to the dressing and mix well.
- Stir in the bell pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, scallions, pepperoncini (if using), olives, parmesan, mozzarella, and the herbs (if using). Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed. Serve or for the best results, cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 5 days.
2.) Southern Fried Pickles
Total time: 45 mins
Makes 8 servings
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 c. canola oil
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 c. cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. cornmeal
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. club soda
- 8 or 9 large pickles (from a 46-ounce jar) cut on the bias into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Whisk together shallot, mayonnaise, buttermilk, chives, and garlic powder in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil to 350°F in a medium saucepan. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, and baking soda in a second bowl. Season with salt. Whisk in club soda until combined.
- Working in batches, dip pickles in batter, letting excess drip off, and transfer to oil. Fry, turning once, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with dressing alongside.
We hope you love these recipes! Remember to let us know if you give them a try.
Don't forget about your code "LABORDAY2021" this weekend either...
Now through Monday, take 15% off the entire Outback store when you enter code "LABORDAY2021" at checkout on our website.
Start Your Shopping Now: Shop The Outback Series
Pasta Salad Full Recipe On Inspired Taste
Fried Pickles Full Recipe On Country Living